PDCS Home Page
Horti Pompei (Gardens of Pompeius)
All links in this entry open up to a new window that contains the full Latin text and English translation for the respective source.
Gardens of Pompeius Magnus in the campus Martius (Plut. Pomp. 44; Vell. 2.60.3; Asc. in Mil. arg. 34). They were given to Antonius by Caesar after Pompeius' death (App. BC 3.14; Cic. Phil. 2.109), and were still called Pompeiani in the early empire (CIL 6.6299). Twice (Asc. in Mil. 50C, 52C) in connection with these gardens, horti superiores are spoken of in a way to imply that there were upper and lower parts, and the inference has been drawn that these parts lay at the foot and on the slope of the Pincian respectively. In this case, they must have been entirely on the east side of the via Lata.
[Platner, Samuel Ball, and Thomas Ashby. 1929 (rev. ed.). "Horti Pompeiani." A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome: 270. London: Oxford University Press.]
Return to A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome